Sunday, September 23, 2012

Maybe I Shouldn't watch so much Nat Geo

The aforementioned former roommate revealed to me that she had sex, after a long time waiting. Normally I would be green with envy, especially since it's been so long for me. But this time, I wasn't even phased. I wasn't overly happy for her, but I felt a twinge of excitement. However, I truly felt that I wasn't missing out on anything special. Perhaps it's because I can no longer pretend to want a one-night stand (since the previous post proved that I am pretty terrible at containing them to one night).

I can't help but to think of the animal kingdom whenever I think about dating: should we be MORE or LESS like the animals?

If we were more like the animals, we would never have to wonder if a man liked us, as he would simply let us know by mounting us. But I am still horrified when I see the mating rituals as it typically goes down in a fashion that humans would consider rape. It happens once a year, and you get a baby that you spend a few months to a few years doting on. You eventually get too old to breed, and you are left alone. You don't live too much longer after that.

If we focus on being less like animals, our population should die out fairly quickly. Sex is not necessary like food, water and sleep. It's the equivalent to recreational drug use. Choosing a marriage partner should be for economical reasons only. Your self worth would be determined by ANYTHING that isn't your ability to attract a mate.

If we went the completely logical route, would health still be a factor in choosing a partner? Would you still want to look for someone that will live as long as you think that you would? Or would finding companions become so easy that there wouldn't be a fear of finding a replacement? Or is love something experienced on such a deep level, that regardless of attraction, people would experience too much grief when the partner is lost to want to find a replacement?


No comments: